Sunday, January 8, 2017

Week 1 Story: The Trip to Remember

I was on a vacation with my friends at a cabin in the woods, since we had decided we wanted to just relax over break. The first thing we did was decide on taking a walk through the woods so explore and to figure out what’s around us. The first thing we ran into was find a said Temple of Doom. We had no idea what that meant so we decided to go exploring and see what turns up. There was a trap door that sent a boulder behind us but we ended up running into a hallway on the side and escaping that. After that we found a tunnel to leave and popped back up at the spooky tree. The tree looked like it had been growing for hundreds of years and it had these creepy vines all around it. The air in that area was also thicker which made it harder to breath and it was fogy so it really gave it an eerie feeling. We ended up going back to our cabin since we had seen more than enough and explored a lot. This place was a lot quieter than we thought and the opposite of what we were hoping to achieve with this trip. In the morning we had breakfast and made a picnic basket to go on a picnic somewhere in the woods, hoping to not run into anything scarier than our previous day. So we walked and we walked until we found a nice open area to sit at and enjoy the nature. We sat around just talking and eating when we heard a strange sound. None of us knew what it could be, we just thought that maybe we were just hearing things and thought nothing of it. Until we heard something coming from the trees and it sounded big. It turns out it was a bear rummaging the forest for food. As soon as we saw him we ran with the bear following us. We went everywhere we could to get away from that bear and ended up splitting up. Somehow we lost the bear from our trial and made it back to the cabin at the end of the day. Once we were all there we decided to just leave this place and never come back. We packed all of our stuff within the next hour, got into our car and took off never to come back.

Cabin in the Woods Log Cabin

Authors Note: I used the map to create my story of the strange things that are found in the woods. 

Bibliography. "Map of the Area Surrounding our Holiday Home," a cartoon by Tom Gauld from his book ROBOTS, MONSTERS Etc. Map

4 comments:

  1. Shruti, I like that you used a map to write your story off of. I think it leads to more room for creativity and description, which I can see you took advantage of. I think that your story has a lot of visual detail, but I think describing some of the sounds or having some conversation could also make your story that much more descriptive and creative! I really like the ominous feel that you were able to create by your descriptions, I think you did it really nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was cool that you were able to create a story from a visual map! Like Ellie mentioned above, I feel like adding more elements to your story would make it pop more. Maybe some dialogue here and there, and some more imagery or something like that, would really take your story over the top. Otherwise, I found the story to be interesting and full of plenty of detail. I know if I was being chased by a bear, I would be gone and I wouldn't be coming back!! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shruti, the picture you used here really caught my attention! And like our classmates, I really think it's cool that you turned that into a story. I love the way you grasp the reader's attention by using such vivid imagery when detailing the escape through the tunnel door! It really made me wonder what was going to happen next and how the character was going to get out of there. It would also strengthen the story a lot to include such imagery of the "Temple of Doom" on a large scale. Imagery makes stories so much better, and you did a great job at that. I would also be really interested to add in details of how they made it back to the cabin. Did they endure any more challenges along the way? What was their thought processes throughout escaping and being chased by a bear? What happened when they split up? How did they all find each other? Also, I really like the narrative, but it would also be cool to introduce more characters.
    I love the hurried feeling you gave toward the end! They wanted nothing more of that place, they had seen enough!
    I loved the story, GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creativity was spot on for the story as per your description I could totally relate! I've hiked at night in North west Canada where you can find bears and all sorts of wild animals. It's funny that we always tend to put ourselves in situations where we want to feel at risk. I guess it's just human nature to enjoy the adrenaline of being in such danger!

    ReplyDelete